Thursday, June 14, 2012

Back to the Gym

I decided to make this summer "The Summer of Shane."  That has meant trying to get back into shape.

As someone who is gender queer, changing rooms are not my favorite place, which can make going to the gym difficult.  This year I decided I didn't care and I joined a gym not too far from home.

Surprise Number 1 --  The gym has a "Family Locker-room."  A private, locking room to change and shower in -- heaven!!!  Might have joined sooner had I known.

Surprise Number 2 -- I decided in order to jump start my process I would purchase some sessions with a person trainer.  At our first meeting she said that she had heard that I was excited about the Family Locker-room and wondered if it was ok to ask what pronouns I use.  I thanked her for asking and told her they were complicated.  In response she said, "Oh, ze and hir."  I little stunned -- I said yes.

So I have found a fairly safe space to workout in!!!  I had to check some of my own stereotypes!  I had some healing encounters.

Now I just have to go to the gym, workout and sweat!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this sounds like a really great experience! Do you feel comfortable sharing which gym it is? If not, maybe you could email hir.queer@gmail.com Knowing safe spaces in Austin is really important for a lot of folks.

    ReplyDelete