Saturday, June 8, 2013

Thought Bubbles Might be Helpful

As I walked around Town Lake in a black tank tee and cargo shorts I was curious how people were reading me.  I often get the "head nod" from the men I pass.  I have learned to quickly give the "head nod" back.  

Then I get curious that if someone reads me as a man -- what do they think my sexual orientation is?  Do I read as straight/gay/bi/queer?  My assumption (ever a danger) is that if I'm read as a woman that they read my sexual orientation as lesbian/dyke/queer.

Then I think about those people who aren't sure about my gender.  Do they think of me as "it," "freak," and then what would my sexual orientation be?  Maybe they think of me as someone no one would be interested in.  Maybe they don't think of me as a sexual being.

So - what would it be like if people had thought bubble so I could tell what they were thinking?

I usually am friendly.  I smile at people.  Sometimes I say hello.  I want them to know that even though they may not be able to read my gender that I am a real person.

So you might wonder -- why does Shane care?  In many ways I don't care as long as people treat me well.

AND I am curious about what people see and how they gender me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment