Monday, January 4, 2010

Is it too much to ask?

I use third gender pronouns -- ze and hir. Now the trick with using these pronouns is getting others to use them.

Here are some of the issues:

1. Most people don't have to tell people what pronouns they use. We don't usually introduce ourselves with our name and our preferred pronouns. So if I want people to use the pronouns, I have to tell them. This often feels like a big deal. When do I tell them? How are they going to react? Am I going to have to give them an explanation of why I use them and why it is important to me?

2. I don't usually talk about myself in third person -- so people can't just pick up on the pronouns I use.

3. Even if I do let people know about my pronouns, I then usually have to draw a chart and give a small grammar lesson.

Responses that I often hear:

1. That is too hard and complicated.

2. I don't want to get it wrong -- so I'm just not going to try.

3. Why are you trying to use language that no one knows or cares about?

4. That will never catch on.

5. How is it possible to live in a third gender space -- there is no such thing.

6. Why do you make life so hard on yourself? (code -- why are you making this difficult for me?)

7. I'll try -- but I will make mistakes and I hope you will be patient with me.

Bottom line -- Is it too much to ask to have my identity and language respected?

No comments:

Post a Comment