Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Perils of Air Travel

Having flown over the holidays, I'm aware of the peril of being trans and going through security. I made it through all of the security hoops without an issue this time -- hurray.

Some people called me "sir" and some "ma'am." I always was hopeful that the person who was looking at my driver's license was on the "ma'am" side since the "F" box is the one with the "x" in it.

On this trip I was lucky. I didn't have to be personally searched. That has been exciting for me in the past. The rule is that the TSA searcher needs to be the same gender as the person being searched. Usually for me this means that a man is called over, he then looks me in the eye, raises an eyebrow, then calls over a woman. The woman looks questioningly over with a "are you sure" in her eyes. I nod and she comes over and pats me down. If I'm feeling sassy I thank her for the massage which usually makes her blush and scamper off.

Then there are the airport bathrooms. If you have to take your language in -- it is not simple to get in and out as quickly as possible. In larger airports I can usually find a "family" bathroom -- that is always a reason to celebrate.

The Memphis airport doesn't have any -- so what is the plan of action?!?!? Find the women's bathroom farthest from the busier gatea, stand outside and see how busy it is. Get in and out as fast as possible without making eye contact with anyone.

Now they are talking about having full body scanning machines at airports. Really?!?!? You want to see what I have under my clothes? What if what is under my clothes has very little to do with what is on my driver's license? Whose business is it to know that information? Some of my closest friends don't know the answer -- why should a TSA screener know?

I agree that we want to be safe when we travel. AND -- who gets to be safe? A full body scan doesn't make me feel safe. Knowing that others in the gender community are going to be scanned and questioned doesn't make me feel safe.

Having control over my gender identity and expression and who knows what about my body does make me feel safe.

So -- we will see what new security measures are passed and whose security is comprised. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment