Saturday, January 16, 2010

Lost a Great Man

I wanted to take some time and acknowledge the loss of a great man and an important member of the trans community. On Thursday 1/14, Dr. Maxwell Anderson died.

I first met Max at the first True Spirit Conference close to 15 years ago. At that time he was going to conferences and showing a slide show about top surgeries that had gone wrong. My "favorite" was a slide of a surgery where the surgeon had only put one nipple back. You would think that the surgeon might look at the chest and say "It seems like something is missing!"

The next time I met Max was at a showing of the documentary "Southern Comfort" in Austin. I had the opportunity to drive Max back to his hotel. We talked about the changes and improvements in top surgeries, the changes that he had seen in the gender community, and just about life.

He had a very generous spirit and a warm heart. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment